SEVENTH JOINT CONVENTION OF PAKISTAN-INDIA PEOPLES FORUM FOR PEACE AND DEMOCRACY WAS HELD IN NEW DELHI. INDIA., ON 25-28 FEB 2005
REPORT OF THE PEACE AND RECONCILIATION COMMITTEE
Venue: Asst. Chairman’s Hall. Constitution Club.
Meeting times :
Session I: 26th noon 1500-1800; Present members. Female
29. Male 41. Total : 72
Session II: 27th 1100- 1155: Present members. Female 11. Male 21. Total : 32
Co-Chairs: Dr. Haroon & Dr. Mohanty.
Joint repertoire’s: Ch. Naeem Shakir/Xavier Pinto assisted by two other participants.
The Peace and reconciliation Committee of the Karachi Declaration suggested that the committee from each country visits and makes contacts with various sections of people. The sixth joint convention in Karachi , Sept 6th 2004 discussed and recommended that basic work has to be done in our own countries first. We have to create awareness and mobilize a broad-based PEACE platform.
- Web site launched in Pakistan recently: www.geosites.com/pipfpdpakistan In India www.pipfpf.org already exists.
- It was announced that 7 fishermen are being released today/tomorrow from Pakistan. We thank both the governments for this gesture. Action in this area is ongoing.
- The committee reiterated that the practical proposal was that six groups should be constituted and they should initiate exchanges between the two countries. Hence A coordinator from each country has been inducted who will facilitate the meaningful exchange. These names are included elsewhere in the full report of the session.
- Nuclear & Militarization: Kamal Mitra
- Art and Culture: Dr. Ramesh Chandra
- Trade and finance: Ramamurthy/Muhammed Idres Tabassum
- Travel and commuting: Iqbqal A. Alavi /Adam Sehegal
- Women: Uzma Noorani/ Pushpa Bhave
- Media : Rita Mirchandani / Beena Sarwar
- Peace Studies: Farrukh Sohail/
- Youth: Bhuvanesh Jain/
The group then went on to make some proposals and suggestions for further action. Many of these have been made before and were re-iterated for firm follow-up.
- If we really want to promote peace we should devote a morning to a visit by Pakistanis to Indian Schools here in New Delhi and vice versa at the next joint convention.
- Let us start with teaching the children at the school level about Peace.
- Let a child be raised(adoption style) by parents on either side of the border.
- Pakistan and India are part of SAARC. We need to strengthen our multilateral relations in all in the whole sub continent.
- We should request both governments to ban films on War and make instead films on Peace themes.
- Action to be taken on the cultural front. A sub committee on art and culture. who in the next three months give a plan.
- Young people need to be focused on. We have to pass on a legacy.
- Peoples organisations should be involved in peace building process like students Unions, Trade UNIONS, Kissan committees ,Human rights organization. etc.
- Human resource development needs to be done.
- Citizenship for married persons /nationals from each other’s countries.
- No need of Visas at all ! Or Visa on Arrival.
- Request for multiple –Visa to citizens from both countries.
- We celebrate jointly at the Khokra pass border together.
- Request for a Mumbai -Karachi Ferry.
- Exchange on the University levels Peace studies on the level of all Universities.
- Pak India should bring out a booklet showing the cost of War weapons.
- Victims of War should be involved in the PIPFPD movement.
- Committee to be set up peace literature for Children.
- Like we have chosen Water can we choose the area of Prisoners as priority?